info@jumpingsolutions.com
SSL secure
which rebound boots are best

Which rebound boots are best?

Which rebound boots are best?

Which rebound boots are best? Kangoo Jumps? Aerower? Bounce Boots? This is a question that we are asked so often that we felt that it merited a blog post of its own to answer the question fully.

The brands

While there are currently many brands of rebound boots on the market, only 3 brands can be serious candidates for comparison in this test. There are no “fake boots” as some people claim, but some brands should be disregarded as cheap low-quality imitations. We will confine this comparison to the 3 top brands currently available.

These 3 brands are Kangoo Jumps, Bounce Boots and Aerower. Each has its strong and weak points. While by no means “the original” as they claim, Kangoo Jumps was the first of these 3 brands to become internationally known, followed relatively recently by Aerower and Bounce Boots. We will take an objective look at each of these brands and give them a score based on quality, comfort, lifespan of springs (the parts that need replacement most often), the extent to which the boots are customizable to one’s weight/athletic abilities, and the overall rebound experience. The scoring for quality is broken down into two parts: the overall quality and the quality of the rebound system (comprising shells and springs)

*Note: Kangoo Jumps, Aerower and Bounce all apply a different terminology to the shells and springs:

Kangoo Jumps: T-springs, Shells
Bounce Boots: Bounce Bands, Bounce Blades
Aerower: Multibands, Arcs

For the sake of simplicity we will keep to the terminology of Kangoo Jumps as this is what most people call these parts.

The test

The scoring system employed is as follows:

1: sub-standard
2: neutral
3: excellent

Pricing

Pricing was too complex to add to the scoring, as the pricing models of the companies differ too much. Aerower bases the prices on the strength of the rebound system, Bounce Boots and Kangoo Jumps use the same price for all models. The table below gives the recommended retail price of the boots per company, grouped by the rebound system strength. All 3 brands have “special” models that are more expensive, we used only the prices for the standard models. Shipping prices are not included. The lowest prices per rebound strength are shown in green.

Rebound shoe price comparison

• Note: The default Aerower model comes un-assembled, meaning that the boot and rebound system are packaged separately. For 5,00 € extra you can buy them fully assembled.
  • Note October 23 2018: This price table reflects only the initial purchase price. Of course, maintenance costs play a big role as well. To see what maintenance will cost you, per brand, read How Much do Rebound Shoes Cost?
  • Update April 12, 2020: Initially Aerower boots came with a very thin liner. They now feature a much thicker and more comfortable liner, the “comfort” score has been adjusted from 1 to 2.

which rebound boots are bestKangoo Jumps

The undisputed market leader for many years, Kangoo Jumps boots have had their ups and downs, mostly in the realm of quality control and logistics. The reason for competitors appearing on the market is clear – often there were quality problems (shells breaking, springs wearing out too soon, White Edition boots breaking) and logistical problems (parts, especially shells, not being available for months, in the case of the Pro model for almost a year).  As for customization you can choose between 2 types of shells: Light and Hard. The spring has 3 rectangular bands, so your options for weight customization are limited. (There are different options for customization on the PRO 7 model, but that comes at a hefty price-tag) The XR3 model was launched 2006, and since then no new innovations have taken place.

The score:
Quality (boots) 2
Quality (rebound system) 2
Comfort (liner) 2
Lifespan (springs) 1
Weight customization 1
Rebound experience 1

Total score: 9

which rebound boots are bestBounce Boots

Bounce Boots offer quite a few innovations and improvements on the Kangoo Jumps XR3 model. Bright fashionable colours, better-quality and longer-lasting springs, a comfortable rebound and an exceptionally comfortable liner. Innovations: Integrated support plate, round instead of rectangular springs. Customization: with 4 round strands per spring, 3 spring hardnesses and 3 shells hardnesses, Bounce Boots can be better customized to weight. They introduced the click-by-click ratchet system to the lower buckles, and have a very comfortable liner. These innovations are somewhat marred by quality issues (the “horns” of the click-by-click ratchet system bend or break very easily, boots crack, spring and shell quality is inconsistent) and logistical problems (late deliveries, wrong colours etc)

The score:
Quality (boots) 1
Quality (rebound system) 2
Comfort (liner) 3
Lifespan (springs) 2
Weight customization 2
Rebound experience 3

Total score: 13

which rebound boots are bestAerower

With their Jumper1, Aerower presents an entirely new version of the rebound boot, redesigned from the ground up. Precise engineering and high-quality materials coupled with rigorous testing provide a rebound boot of exceptional quality, and the 4 different shell configurations make it perfectly customizable to one’s weight and/or athletic abilities. Innovations: round instead of rectangular springs that last approximately 100% longer than Kangoo Jumps springs, and 30% longer than Bounce springs, improved mechanical characteristics of the rebound system. Customization: with 9 round strands per spring and 4 shell hardnesses, the Aerower Jumper1 offers infinite weight customization options. The range of athletic possibilities per weight range is also larger than in the other brands tested, making Aerower the most versatile of the three brands. The one negative point is the very thin liner. While it doesn’t feel uncomfortable, one can imagine it wearing out faster than the liners of the competitors.

The score:
Quality (boots) 3
Quality (rebound system) 3
Comfort (liner) 2
Lifespan (springs) 3
Weight customization 3
Rebound experience 3

Total score: 17

Conclusion

So which rebound boots are best? The hands-down winner is Aerower (17), with Bounce(13) coming in second, followed by Kangoo Jumps(9). While it’s sad for Kangoo Jumps to take the last place after being the market leader for so many years, they take this hit primarily because of inconsistent quality and an inferior rebound experience. As one person put it: “After using Bounce Boots for a while, I put on my Kangoo Jumps again and it felt like I was jumping on bricks instead of springs”.

A hint for Kangoo Jumps owners who feel disappointed after reading this: Consider a hybrid boot. Upgrade your Kangoo Jumps with Aerower springs (or even better, an entire Aerower rebound system of shells and springs), and liners from Bounce Boots. Instantly your Kangoo Jumps boots will have a superior rebound experience and a very comfortable fit! Brand compatibility is a whole other story, and in another blog post we focus on how to upgrade your boots by using a better rebound system on your existing boots.

Tags: , ,

12 Comments

• Nadia says:

Thanks a lot for the information, I have been using KJ for over 7 years and after your post and talking to many excolleagues, I will give Aerower a try

• […] For more information, read this article: Which rebound boots are best? […]

• […] Once again, we will deal only with Kangoo Jumps. Bounce Boots and Aerower, as not enough data is available on any of the other brands. Firstly, let’s deal with the actual purchase price of rebound shoes. We’ll include a paragraph we’d added on this subject in a previous article: […]

• Mary Lou Frisch says:

I mentioned in a previous post about Exerlopers. I really like these and the customer support was wonderful. I had problems at first with the bands not flexing evenly and they sent new bands which solved the problem. Last week the boot plastic cracked in half and the Company out of Canada said to return them and they will fix the boot even though they have a new design. What I like best about the Exerlopers is the comfort of wearing my own shoes even though all the ties are a pain to deal with and it takes about five minutes a boot to stay my foot in place. The bounce is a blast and sometimes I use trekking poles and can get a super workout that I’ll use as sort of interval training with five minutes at a time of my heart rate in the 160’s I have a big clear span barn and when the weather is nasty can do my workout inside. My main goal for using bounce shoes is to supplement long distance running training and help build an endurance base.

• Johnny says:

Awesome to hear about the great customer service! One doesn’t often find that these days. And yes, using rebound boots is an excellent way to increase your endurance.

• […] own pair of the best rebound shoes on the market, with a special corona 10% discount. (In the post Which rebound boots are best you’ll find an explanation of the criteria we used to establish why they are the best) So […]

• Giacomo says:

Mi sembra una comparazione molto di parte a favore di Aerower e quindi non veritiera

• Johnny says:

Giacomo, there is no bias. This article was written based on extensive research of all three brands, and also based on specifications (for instance on the life-span of springs) given by the companies themselves. I see Elmas SRL applied for a patent for rebound boot shells. Do you plan to start your own brand of rebound boots?

• Judy Terrasas says:

Hi,

I own 3 pair of (new) jump boots and have issues with all three. I read your article and with your expertise, I wondered if you might be able to advise me.

I have a pair of Kangoo KJXR3 in size small and with 2 bands removed, they are good for my weight but too large for my feet. I’m considering ordering these in size extra small.
    I have a pair of Kids Power Shoes in size 4-6 which fit my feet perfectly but at 110 lbs, I’m too heavy for the T Springs. I’m considering replacing the Tsprings with metal coil springs.
    I have a pair of Aerowers in size small which fit my feet and weight perfectly but have pressure points at my ankle bones. I’m considering ordering a new pair in size medium or just replacing the boot only with a size medium boot. My shoe size is 6.

What would you recommend I do?
    *Another question for you, I understood you to say that the Tsprings and shells of the Kangoo boots and Aerower boots were interchangeable. I was unable to swap them as the Kangoo boots are mounted with one screw and the Aerowers are mounted with two screws. Am I missing something?

Thanks so much for reading this and for any advice you might have for me. I have around

Judy

• Johnny says:

Hi Judy,

That’s a whole bunch of questions 🙂 I’ll try to answer as fully as possible.

I’m considering replacing the Tsprings with metal coil springs.
      Hmmm, I haven’t tried this before, but I fear that the PRO coilsprings will be too tight for the Powershoe shells – they are way too soft.

Officially the S size boot would be perfect for a size 6 foot. That said, the Aerower boots are slightly narrower than the comparable size in KJ or Bounce, so that is probably the problem.
      Yes, a size M should solve the issue, but might just be a bit too clumsy. Something else to consider is replacing the liners with Bounce Boots Liners, or even trying the KJ liners you already have.

No, not quite. Aerower springs and shells can be fitted to Kangoo Jumps XR3 and PRO models, and to Bounce Boots. The Aerower Support Plate and Bumpers can be fitted to KJ XR3 or Pro, but not to Bounce Boots, as they come with the support plate integrated in the boot.
      KJ and Bounce parts will not fit on Aerower boots.

This is only true for the KJ Powershoe -it does have only one screw. The KJ XR3 and PRO models, as well as Bounce Boots, all have two screws and are compatible with Aerower parts.

I have around $900.00 invested in Jump boots that I can’t wear and don’t want to make another mistake.
      I can totally imagine, yes.
      I would say that if your Kangoo Jumps XR3 model is comfortable, it would be the best bet to replace its entire rebound system (support plate, shells and springs, plus sole) with your Aerower Rebound system (support plate, bumper, shells and springs, plus sole). This will definitely be your cheapest option, as you already have all the parts. The only thing extra you would need to buy would be a pair of Bounce Boots liners, which are much thicker, and would make the XR3 S size fit more snuggly.

For your weight, the Aerower Soft shells would be best, and 4 bands on your multibands – in other words, with the 5 bands on the inside cut, leaving 2 on either side.

The more expensive option would be to buy a pair of boots alone from Aerower in size M, and to mount your current rebound system on them

I hope his helps! Let me know how it goes!

• Judy Terrasas says:

Hi Johny,

Yes, that was a whole bunch of questions, lol, and yes, did you ever help…. Answered every one of my questions, and so thoroughly! I had watched video after video for weeks trying to glean the information you gave me so I’m ever so grateful for the time you have saved me searching forward.

Using the information you gave me, I decided to do the following:
        A) The Power Shoes fit my foot so perfectly that I’m not ready to give them up just yet. There is a light weight coil spring made especially for the Power Shoe but it’s currently out of stock. I’m going to give them a shot when they become available.
        B) The Aerowers are another story altogether. In addition to the ill-fitting boot, I can’t get any bounce from them even with all but two bands removed. I have the light shell, not the soft shell but switching shells or using the parts at this point is not an option, as I just don’t think they are for me.
        C) I took your advice for my KJ XR3’s and ordered the Bounce boot liners and am hopeful they will be a fix for the fit.

I guess I’m not done spending money however, on Kangoo boots (yes, I’m hooked). I found and purchased a pair of KJ XR3’s in size extra small and am awaiting their arrival. I am also waiting for the color combo I want in the Diana Rojas’ Bounce Boots, size small, and I’ll order them as well. I plan on teaching some time in the future so whatever doesn’t work for me will be able to be utilized and It will be nice to have all three brands for comparison.

I’ll wait until all my options have been realized before getting back to you with the results so it may be a while, but you can be sure I will as you have been so kind to go to all the trouble you did to answer my questions. I had watched tens of videos trying to glean the information you gave me so I’m grateful for the time you have saved me in searching further. Thanks, so much!

Judy